A Singapore start-up reveals how to lose two kilograms per week on a tasty diet of Char Kway Teow and Baked Cheesy Pasta
HealthFull, a Singapore-based startup, launched its innovative weight-loss meal packages on September 1, 2022. These meal packages are based on the locally developed Healthy Ketogenic Diet concept and address the shortcomings of common diets, while taking into account local eating habits.
Based on the data collected during the first three months, participants lost an average of two kilograms per week while following the HealthFull diet. Conventional diets result in a weight loss of 0.5 kg per week.1 The newly introduced diet was also praised for its taste, variety, and convenience.
The HealthFull team interviewed consumers, industry insiders, and dietitians in Singapore earlier this year to find out why it is difficult for Singaporeans to lose weight consistently.Major findings are:
- For many busy Singaporeans, preparing healthy meals is time-consuming and a hassle.
- It's easy to get bored when dieting with shakes and powders; there is not enough variety and texture; and compliance is a problem.2
- Dieting often results in being hungry in between meals or at odd times of the day, the primary reason people give up on losing weight.3
- Singaporeans prefer meals that are easy to prepare, bringing a variety of popular local and international flavours to the table.
With 25.4 million searches worldwide in 2020, keto was the most Googled food-related topic. In recent years, keto has replaced popular diets such as Atkins and intermittent fasting. Despite its popularity, Keto diets have significant flaws.Well-documented disadvantages of the Keto diet:
- Keto diets are restrictive, and therefore hard to follow consistently or to sustain for a longer period of time.
- High intake of saturated fats can have a negative impact on long-term health such as raised blood cholesterol levels and increased risk of cardiovascular disease.4
- Keto diets are often related to a nutrient deficiency risk, in particular due to lack of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Headache, bad breath and constipation are common side effects.
Using these insights, a group of clinical professionals (including doctors and dietitians) and food industry veterans began exploring effective and evidence-based ways to improve the Keto diet. This resulted in the “Healthy Keto” concept. Healthy Keto addresses most shortcomings of the regular Keto diet.Key differentiators for the Healthy Keto diet:
- The careful control of the amount of saturated fat, trans-fat and cholesterol intake to keep them within the allowable daily limits in order not to increase our blood cholesterol.
- It is designed to control daily net carbohydrate intake and calories while providing sufficient protein, healthy fats, fibre, vitamins, and minerals to help people feel full and satisfied until their next meal.
Net carbohydrate intake is the total carbohydrate intake minus the fibres. Fibres are not digested but have many health benefits. A net carbohydrate intake of less than 50 grams per day triggers the body's metabolism to burn both body fat and dietary fat more efficiently.
- The composition of the Healthy Keto diet plays an active role in suppressing the release of the “Hunger Hormone” Ghrelin from the stomach and therefore prevents hunger pangs associated with most weight loss diets. The diet, when followed closely, also increases the concentrations of the satiety hormones glucagon-like peptide 1 [GLP-1] and cholecystokinin [CCK].
- All recipes focus on using wholesome ingredients, full of flavour and variety. Selected fresh fruits, vegetables, protein, healthy fats, and controlled amounts of whole grains can be part of the daily food intake.
HealthFull is the first company to introduce a complete series of meals, meal packages, and diet guidelines based on the locally developed Healthy Ketogenic Diet concept. These meal packages are carefully tailored to Singaporean lifestyles and diet preferences.
In September 2022, HealthFull launched a brand-new online store with a full range of lunch and dinner options, including individual meals, trial plans, and meal packages for four and 13 weeks.
Each recipe adheres to the Healthy Keto concept. A collaborative effort between dietitians and chefs has led to an inspiring menu that combines popular local and international flavours in a typical Singaporean way.
- Among the popular local and Asian dishes are Char Kway Teow, Briyani Chicken Tandoori, Sambal Fried Rice, Fried Cauliflower Rice, Korean Japchae and Kimchi Fried Rice.
- These are combined with international flavours like Baked Cheesy Pasta, Risotto with Shimeji & Shiitake, Creamy Mushroom Chicken Pasta, Spaghetti Chicken Bolognese, Olive Rice, Basil Chicken Rice, Tom Yum Seafood Spaghetti and Pad Thai.
All meals are freshly prepared, using carefully sourced ingredients, and then flash-frozen. This method preserves the cellular integrity of the food, ensuring the retention of nutrients and flavours. When reheated, blast-frozen products retain more of their original structure, nutrients, taste and texture.
HealthFull customers receive regular guidance to help avoid common diet pitfalls. Additionally, they receive tips on how to complement their HealthFull lunch and dinner options throughout the day.
All HealthFull meal plan customers were asked to share their weight and other experiences between September and November 2022.Based on their feedback, it appears that:
- While enjoying their two HealthFull meals a day, participants lost about two kilograms per week, or eight kilograms per month.
- The top achiever managed to lose 20 kg in 2.5 months, and another 7.5 kg in 2 months.
- HealthFull customers had no difficulty preparing and serving the provided meals for lunch and dinner, even while other meals were being prepared for other family members. They are convenient ready-to-eat and require only reheating.
- These meals scored well in terms of flavour and variety. The top three favourite meals so far are Baked Cheesy Pasta, Risotto with Shimeiji & Shitake, and Briyani Tandoori Chicken.
HealthFull will continue to improve and expand its menus, meal plans and guidance, based on feedback from its customers and healthcare professionals.
Individual meals and complete meal plans are currently available via www.healthfull.sg. New distribution channels for HealthFull Meal Plans will be launched in 2023.
Singapore, 17 January 2023
- Finkler E, Heymsfield SB, St-Onge MP. Rate of weight loss can be predicted by patient characteristics and intervention strategies. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012 Jan;112(1):75-80. doi: 10.1016/j.jada.2011.08.034.
- Kleine HD, et. al. Barriers to and Facilitators of Weight Management in Adults Using a Meal Replacement Program That Includes Health Coaching. J Prim Care Community Health. 2019
- Vicky Drapeau, et. al. Appetite sensations and satiety quotient: Predictors of energy intake and weight loss, Appetite 2007, Volume 48 (2):159-166.
- Kirkpatrick CK,. (2019). Review of current evidence and clinical recommendations on the effects of low-carbohydrate and very-low-carbohydrate (including ketogenic) diets for the management of body weight and other cardiometabolic risk factors: A scientific statement from the National Lipid Association Nutrition and Lifestyle Task Force. Journal of Clinical Lipidology, 13(5), 689-711.e1.
Feel free to contact HealthFull if you wish to:
- Discover HealthFull meals' delicious taste for yourself
- Assess the effect of HealthFull meals on blood glucose levels
- Interview HealthFull customers and gain first-hand knowledge about the diet experiences.
Via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Grace Wong at +65 9119 0003
HEALTHFULL PTE. LTD
71 Ubi Crescent
#08-02 Excalibur Centre